If you’ve been in the wedding industry for a few years, you definitely start to notice a trend for the most popular wedding dates! That isn’t to say that these dates stay the same year to year, but there are definitely some consistencies that I’ve noticed over my four years as a wedding photographer. And today, I’m going to share those dates with you so you can be prepared when planning your own wedding!
Most Popular Months for Weddings
In Ohio, the most popular times of year for weddings are summer and fall. However, Ohio’s typical wedding season starts in April and ends usually in mid-November. If you ask any photographer in the Midwest, their most popular and most booked months of the year typically are June, September, and October. Most photographers begin booking dates at least 6 months to a year out from the wedding date. So, if there’s a photographer you LOVE and must book for your wedding, book them immediately after you have a solid venue with a firm wedding date!
Dates to be Cautious of
It’s rather unfortunate, but the biggest wedding season in Columbus also happens to be at the same time as OSU Football season. If you’re not from Ohio, you may not understand the hype that is the Buckeyes, but they’re a pretty big deal to most people and Downtown can be extremely difficult to navigate when there are home games or if you’re near campus.
I realize it’s a rather hard time of year to avoid and I have no issues with photographing during a football game! I’d actually rather photograph a wedding than watch football, to be honest 😉
Also, here is a list of some of the local festivals and events that take place in Columbus that may cause some issues with transportation or hotel room availability:
- Comfest – June 23-25, 2017 @ Goodale Park and Short North area.
- Columbus PRIDE Weekend – June 16-18, 2017, Downtown & Short North areas.
- OSU / Michigan 2017 Game – Thanksgiving weekend. Regardless of a home or away game, the bars, restaurants, and streets in the campus, Downtown and Short North areas will be insane!
- Ohio State Fair – July 26 – August 6, 2017 @ Ohio Expo Center, off of I-71.
- Red, White, and Boom 2017 – Currently scheduled for July 3, 2017. Areas surrounding the Scioto River and Downtown will be packed.
- Asian Festival – Memorial Day Weekend @ Franklin Park, near the Conservatory.
Please remember that I’m not trying to talk you into avoiding these dates altogether! This list is to help you prepare for potential hiccups that might pop up if you plan your big day when these events are also occurring. Putting on a wedding during these times are entirely possible and done all the time. Just keep in mind the popularity of these dates to help prepare you and so you can begin planning your big day as soon as possible to ensure you nab the best wedding vendors for you day!